May 27, 2010

Dear Sophie (on your 6th birthday)....

Dear Sophie Lu,

Last night I said goodnight to my sweet 5 year old for the last time. I kissed you on my favorite spot (right above your cute little nose), and tucked you in just the same... but somehow it felt a little different. I realized that even though you are still my baby, you are growing up. I can hardly believe my baby Lu is six years old...

We had a fairy princess party for you last weekend and invited your best friends and all the girls in your class. I was so proud as I watched you eagerly greet each girl with a hug, calling out their name with such excitement. You made each of them feel special (I could tell by their smiles)... you are so sweet, Sophie, just as you have always been. You love everyone. And everyone loves you.

Early this morning, I brought a donut with 6 candles to you in your bed. I sang happy birthday to you, and you were so happy. As you blew out your candles, you wished for a very special birthday (I wished for that too). Today, Daddy and I are going to bring snacks and drinks to school at your snack time. Your teacher is making you a crown, and you classmates will be making you a birthday book. Tonight, we're going out for spaghetti (your favorite), and we'll be having a big family celebration this weekend. I just know you will have so much fun (you always do)!

This morning before you left for school, I held you in my arms and rocked you. I reminded you that when you were very little, you'd say "Rock you" when you wanted me to rock you. (You love it when I tell you how you were as a baby.) And as I rocked you, you told me that you would always be my baby. You still look in my eyes just the way you did the first time I ever held you. There is such love between us... it's more love than I ever thought possible. I'm so grateful for the special bond and love we share, Sophie Lu. And as always, I thank God and all of his angels for you... my precious, beautiful daughter.

So on your 6th birthday, I wish for you to always be as sweet and as happy as you are today. I wish for you the most beautiful life, and I pray that we are all happy and healthy as we continue to watch you grow.

Happy 6th birthday, sweet Sophie Lu! I love you with all of my heart...

Love, Mommy
xoxo

24 comments:

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday, beautiful Sophie Lu!!!

Kate said...

Happy 6th brithday to Sophie! May you all enjoy this very special day!! What a sweet, heartfelt letter to a very loved and very special 6 year old!! :-)

Enjoy that spaghetti!! :-)

ANDREEA said...

happy b-day baby!:)kisses
andreea

Wendy said...

I can't believe she is 6! I have followed your blog since you went to China. It's hard to believe that the time has gone by so quickly and that she is such a big girl.

María said...

....it´s so sweet all you say to Sophie Lu!!
Happy happy birthday Princess Sophie Lu!!

I send a big hug for you from Spain.

María( mom again of another Guangdong beauty, and waiting for travel dates)

K said...

What a sweet post! Happy 6th Birthday, Sophie Lu!

Donna said...

This is so sweet that I can overlook my disappointment that there are no photos (smile). Seriously, you know I've followed you since you traveled to China to meet Sophie Lu and I remember so many of the highlights... the adorable video of Sophie "cooking" and her first steps (after age 18 months!) and how she cried during her visa photo because she didn't want you to put her down. I love her and can hardly believe that she's growing up so quickly! And before I can even meet her in person!

Please kiss her for me and since donuts are my favorite thing in the whole world, I'll eat my next one in her honor!

Happy Bday Sophie Lu!

xoxo

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Laurie said...

Aaah happy birthday Sophie Lu! I'm right there with you but a year behind! Where did our babies go! :)

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Sophie Lu!! My first born baby girl turns 18 tomorrow! Before your mommy knows it, you will be too!!

chai* said...

Happy 6th Birthday Dear Sophie! Awww... what a SWEET letter to your daughter, Shana! Your love to your kids really melts my heart! Sophine might not understand the letter at this stage, but I am 100% sure she will appreciate this so much when she grows up! Wish your family have a wonderful time this weekend! I eager to see Sophie's birthday photos! xo

lola said...

wow there is such a strong emotion in your blog and texts
its wondeful and your relationship with your daughter looks amazing
hb sophie lu ! your are très belle chérie !
best wishes from Paris, France

Lola, 18

my big sister is waiting for a child to adopt in Haiti... Can't wait to love him !!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for 6 years. Unbelievable! I am constantly amazed at what a good mother you are. I love how you have taught Sophie how to be a friend, how to love, how to share her goodness with the world. You make all of your children feel special because you are special. Thinking of you and wishing you the bet

bookjunkie said...

I just stumbled upon your delightful blog!

You have the most beautiful children and you're such a loving mum.

I love reading your lovely blog as well and am astounded by your photographic skills. I blogged about you and I hope you don't mind.

Thank you so much for sharing a bit of your life and immense talents with us :)

Julie said...

As always, a beautiful post in honor of your special girl. Yours was the first blog I followed, and the inspiration for me to submit my application to china back in 2006... Finally four years later, I am preparing to go get my girl. Thank you for all your beautiful posts that reminded me that every day I waited will be worth it! :)

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!
We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."
It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your interview.
Best regards,
Mike Thomas

Melissa said...

Sophie Lu update? Cute little Sophie Lu story? Sophie Lu pictures? Something? Anything? :) Hope you all are doing well!! Many blessings to your beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

Some news ?

Anonymous said...

Some news ?

Welshie said...

Shana !!

Where have you been?? I would love an update on you and the kids xxx

Hope everything is ok x

Mary McG in TN said...

Just checked the date - Sophie is almost 7 now - please update!!! LOL

Beth said...

Wow, and now Sophie is coming up on her 7th birthday! As someone who has joined your journey via the blog since you were actually "waiting" for Sophie, I just wanted to let you know that you are missed but also that warm wishes are being sent to you and your beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

Miss seeing your posts about Sophie. Just realized she has just turned seven.

rawrsophie said...

aw thats gorgeous. I hope she grows up to be a very wise girl.

Anonymous said...

your blessed a beautiful family ` shang ri kuai le` happy birthday





jeremy