March 17, 2010

What happened at The Mothers' Brunch at Sophie's School (so funny)!

Sophie's Kindergarten class recently hosted a Mothers' Brunch for all the moms, and it was such a special day for me! It was so well done- just beautiful in every way. I even left Sasha at home (I rarely leave her) so that Sophie and I could share this special event together. Dads were invited to help serve, so Michael volunteered (he's so good that way)- and it was really nice to have him there too. We enjoyed a lovely brunch and watched the class perform several beautiful songs about Mommies. They also recited The Lord's Prayer & performed it in sign language! It was very impressive (and yes, I cried!)... see the video below. :) But perhaps the most memorable part of the day (for me, at least) was hearing Sophie Lu read a book that she wrote about me. There were three sets of moms/daughters at our table, and each child read their books aloud to the everyone there. You can see the first page (above) was just so sweet.... the whole table went "Awwwww"...

and the second page was so true- we do love to cook together....

But then we got to this page... "My mom likes to dance." Here is the conversation that followed:

Sophie: (reading proudly) "My mom likes to dance."
Me: "Awww, what a sweet picture, Sophie Lu! And who is this I'm dancing with? Daddy and Ollie? And what are they holding... guitars?"
Sophie: "Noooo, Mommy! That's not Daddy & Ollie! Those are the Mariachis! (insert Mexican accent.) You know how you always dance with the Mariachis at the Mexican restaurant!
Me: (blushing and noticing that the other moms were not amused) Ohhhhh.... (then I sort of whispered to her under my breath while giving her a look... "Sophie, I'm surprised you didn't draw me dancing with my margarita..."
Sophie: (loudly) Silly Mommy, you can't dance with a margarita! Margaritas don't have legs!!!

And at that point, I could have cared less what the other moms thought... I was just so happy to be Sophie's mommy and to be lucky enough to get to hear the funny, cute things she always comes up with... she makes me laugh, and she makes my heart sing.... ♥

My precious girl and me... (taken with the same 3.5mp camera I brought to China... I didn't want bother with the big camera or worrying about lighting, etc. It felt really good, too. I'm going to be taking lots more snapshots- I miss those. :)

And here we are with our waiter... ♥

video
The Lord's Prayer (recited & performed in sign language)... Sophie is mid 2nd row w/fur lined collar & pink bow... notice how she mouthed "I love you" and then waved to me. ♥

29 comments:

V and M said...

I LOVE it! Adorable video.

3 Peanuts said...

That is so sweet:) Sophie sure does know her Mama!!!! I love it. You look GORGEOUS as always, my friend. Nursing has been very good to your dear!

Jodee Leader said...

That video is the cutest thing ever!

Amy said...

Adorable! It's great to hear an update from you, I've been wondering what's new with you guys, especially since I'm living in your area now! Glad to see that you're well. :-)

Donna said...

That was such a sweet video! I teared up too then I laughed because it looked like you FAINTED at the end and dropped the camera!

Seriously, this was really fun to hear about how Sophie Lu is doing. I miss these stories of one of my favorite girls (and her mom!). The story about the dancing and the margarita was hysterical. "Out of the mouths of babes", huh!

Lots of love,

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Dale said...

Good for you Shana! You never give up! I need to take note in regard to my dieting and lack thereof!! Anyway, it's so nice to see you and Michael and Miss Sophie Lu. She is really growing up and looks so happy! I miss you. Forever Waiting, Dale

christina said...

that's a great story of you! I loved the mariachi part. dunno why other moms would look at you funny. Thanks for sharing!

Laurie said...

How precious. I love that you dance with the Mariachis at the Mexican restaurant! I would be right there with you!

melissa said...

Love it! What a cute story - too fuuny!

StarfishMom said...

That was a precious video Shana. Sophie did an amazing job!!! I cry every time I see my daughter on stage {she's 12!!!} I always remember holding her in my arms as a baby and can't believe how far she's come. I am one proud mama!! As I'm sure you are also!! Way to go Sophie :)

Team Houston said...

Moments like these are priceless...

Ahhh!!!

Have a good weekend.

xoxo Michele

Anonymous said...

Do you still breastfeed? How old is Sasha?

Ashley said...

Oh Shana - the Lord's Prayer was just too much!! What a sweet day with your sweet Sophie:)

Blessings for a wonderful weekend, Ashley

cluelesscarolinagirl said...

Wild thang! You make my heart sang...you make everything...GROOVY...Ha! That was hilarious!

snekcip said...

Cutest video ever!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the sign language- what a nice addition to a beautiful prayer! Thanks for sharing.
-Megan in MN

chai said...

Glad to see you have new update in the blog! Spohie's drawings are really so adorable! I can truly feel how she loves and adores her sweet mommy :)

Debra said...

Okay you made me cry. Beautiful Sophie Lu and The Lord's Prayer in sign language, made my day. She seems to have a gift in signing. Perhaps she will be able to use that talent in the future.
Loved her book. Too sweet!

Twinkletoes said...

I love it! This is wayyyyyy too precious!
So glad you are updating again!

Anonymous said...

Such a cutie. I love when little kids are already growing up knowing The Lord's Prayer etc. It is SO important that they are grounded before they go out into the world. The book is ADORABLE! The other mom's didnt matter. What matters is that you and her share moments together that only you two fully understand which is adorable :-) Great video!

-Nicole

Heather said...

Wonderful memories! I remember the Mother's Lunch when our daughter was in Kindergarten (she's in 3rd grade now, quite the little lady!) and I cried too!

She wrote about me too and I keep it hanging in my office to remember about how mommy "likes yoga and creme brulee"

Dayngr | Dayngrous Discourse said...

Those are just the cutest and sweetest things ever. Isn't being a mommy awesome?

cluelesscarolinagirl said...

You will be so glad you are keeping this blog. Believe it or not you are going to forget the hilarious stuff they say. I was reading over the last five years of my blog and I have forgotten so much already!

daisy said...

SO SWEET! I love Sophie Lu - she is a cutie!

.E. said...

awwww.... how wonderful.. I love this story

Caitlin. said...

That is just absolutely adorable! Sophie seems like such a little sweetie, you're very lucky.

Cindy said...

Hello MS Shana

I simply loved seeing MS Sophie Lu again!
That video was adorable!
Precious
All 3 of you look so wonderful! I miss seeing you Post! You Do look so pretty!
Again, this was so Sweet!
Love you ! Cindy

Michele said...

I was so happy to see an update and what an update! I had tears in my eyes. What a beautiful family you have!

Mary McG in TN said...

Oh my! I had "lost" your blog - have followed since before Sophie Lu was brought home. Now, once again I can follow - I have a bazillion more of your entries before I catch up!!!! Yeah! I cannot believe that Sophie Lu is 6 years old! Happy Birthday to a wonderful young lady. Now on to catch up with Ollie!